COURSE TITLE : Succeeding from Engineer to Manager
As an experienced engineer, you perform your work by making use of your extensive technical knowledge and analytical skills to solve problems and provide practical solutions. As a manager, you get things done mostly through the efforts of others. One of your greatest challenge in your new role is to deal with people oriented problems. It is therefore crucial that you have the necessary skills in handling people, job planning, setting objectives, delegating work to others, motivating, coaching, teambuilding.... To fulfill these challenging responsibilities, you need to be able to manage your time and communicate effectively with your subordinates, clients and senior management.
At the cross-over point in your career, you leave the job which you were qualified for and knew well, for one that is much more ambiguous. This transition can be a difficult time for many engineers.
This course has been specifically designed to make you aware of those areas which will aid you to handle the cross-over from engineer to manager effectively and with confidence. The course is interactive with lecture sessions back by group discussions, case studies and presentations.
COURSE OBJECTIVES - HOW YOU WILL BENEFIT
The course objective is to give new or prospective managers a better appreciation of the skills needed in handling people, in solving interpersonal conflicts and boost team productivity, and in communicating more effectively with your subordinates, clients and senior management. As well, experienced managers will discover practical ways to handle their most challenging responsibilities.
Successful managers have to develop valuable skills and techniques to deal with people, to communicate, to coach, to delegate, to motivate and to lead. With these skills and techniques in mind, this course has been specifically designed so that you will benefit as follows:
- Manage more effectively and with confidence
- Bring out the best in your employees through effective communication
- Lead to your team to higher productivity and better results
- Motivate those who work with you and inspire them to reach their potential
- Become a more effective coach and facilitator
- Appraise the performance of your employees more effectively
- Accomplish more in the time you have by delegating responsibilities to others
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is designed for supervisors, prospective managers, engineers, managers and other professionals who want to gain greater skills in supervising and leading their employees to superior performance. This course will benefit:
- Those engineers recently appointed supervisors or managers
- Those engineers about to be appointed to supervisory and managerial positions
- Experienced supervisors and managers requiring a refresher course in the latest management principles and people skills.
WHAT YOU WILL COVER - COURSE OUTLINE
- Why Learn People Skills
- Establishing yourself as an effective manager
- Gaining acceptance, trust and respect
- Managing people
- Changing values call for changing management style
- How leadership differs from management
- Qualities of a good leader
- Maximizing your leadership potential
- Understanding Personalities
- The four types of personalities
- Developing staff relationships
- Understanding your managerial style and how it impacts others
- Motivating People To Higher Performance
- Does money motivate ?
- Do people motivate ?
- How does the company provide a motivating environment ?
- Herzberg and Maslow motivational models compared
- Empowerment and motivation
- Effective Work Planning and Time Management
- Deciding what has to be accomplished and how it will be done
- Setting and achieving objectives
- Developing work plans
- Setting priorities
- Wiping out time wasters
- Delegations Skills
- Benefits and obstacles of delegation
- What is the appropriate level of delegation for each staff person ?
- Supervising, monitor progress and follow-through
- What do you do when the results are not what you expected ?
- Interpersonal Communication
- Getting your message across and ensuring understanding
- Speaking with clarity
- Reducing defensiveness in the listener
- Improving your listening skills
- Negotiation skills
- Coaching And Performance Appraisal
- The manager as a coach, counselor and disciplinarian
- How to coach for optimal performance
- Objectives of performance appraisal
- How to prepare properly for the performance appraisal ?
- Team Building
- Benefits of cooperation and teamwork
- Helping work groups become teams
- Stages of team development
- High performance team traits
- Barriers to high performance teams
- Charting Your Career Growth
- Improve your prospects
- How to develop and use your networks
- Continuous learning and training
- Have a vision of your career growth and go for it
Customized On-Site Training:
This program can be tailored to your specific needs and delivered at the location you choose to fit your organization's objectives.
You will receive a complimentary copy of PUTTING PEOPLE FIRST - A practical approach to management, by Kin Tue-Fee, your course leader.
Kin Tue-Fee is a training and development specialist with expertise gained from thirty years of personal and professional management and leadership. He is the author of a book entitled, Become your best, and has conducted numerous seminars and workshops on a wide variety of management and leadership topics. Besides being a professional engineer and a public service executive, he is a successful entrepreneur who manages his own business. He has published his second book in 2009, which will be on leadership and management skills to be entitled: Putting People First - A personal approach to management and leadership.
Course Leader Fee:
$2000.00 Canadian per day.
All expenses like traveling , accommodation and printing of course material are extra.